Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday with host family

Today the start of the second week begins and I woke up not in Werder, but in a B&B outside of the exceptionally famous city of Dresden. My day began with a one and a half hour scenic bus trip that took my host family and I throughout the most exciting part of the city. The newest place that we drove past was the BMW car factory, entirely made of glass that can stack around 40 new cars vertically, right the way around the massive cylindrical shaped building. Dresden was heavily bombed during WWII, and the few remains of the original city date back to the time of Saxons. Then we took a look inside the Frauenkirche (church) which is the most famous building. I had no idea a church could have 4 levels of seating and an interior so beautifully decorated! Next, we enjoyed a light lunch directly outside the church at an Italian restaurant. I am absolutely sure i will never have a lunch quite like that in my whole life again. The atmosphere + view + perfect weather + fine food = a once in a lifetime experience. As if i wasn't overwhelmed enough, our last activity was to view the green vault gallery/museum of "Augustus the Strongs" magnificent collection of thousands of artefacts, all of which were exceptionally valuable and intricately designed. I am told that a limited number of people are admitted to the castle museum everyday and that we were fortunate to be amongst the few who have been admitted. The distance from Dresden to Berlin is over 180km and we made it there in 1:45hours with the Autobahn and no speed limit! I will let you calculate what the average speed was! The perfect weekend that enabled me, who has never travelled outside New Zealand, to broaden my perspective even further on the world. Being the only student to make an entire weekend visit there, I will be forever in my host family's debt - so thankyou to them for the best weekend of my life! Auf Wiedersehen from Katie

1 comment:

  1. Ben,has just said how jealous he is of you Katie. What a fabulous weekend. We're loving all the photos, can't wait to see some of Bavaria!
    Ruth Walton

    ReplyDelete